Rules and Guidelines
We invite you to discover, enjoy, and learn about the Arboretum’s important plant research projects and beautiful displays. We ask your help in protecting and preserving all parts of this national living treasure.
Visitor behavior is regulated by the United States Code of Federal Regulations, Title 7, Subtitle B, Chapter V, Part 500. Visitors are expected to abide by the rules listed here and posted at the information kiosks and in the Administration Building lobby. Please plan your visit so that you are ready to leave by the 5 p.m. closing time.
- All plants, fish, and wildlife are protected. Do not collect plants or plant parts including flowers, leaves, and seeds.
- Picnic only in the National Grove of State Trees picnic area. Barbecues, fires, and alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Radios without headphones are prohibited anywhere on the arboretum grounds.
- Pets must be leashed at all times and must be controlled so that they do not urinate on, defecate in, or enter garden beds. Owners must clean up after their pets. Pets are not allowed in the Administration Building or in the National Bonsai & Penjing Museum. Click here for more information.
- Playing ball, flying kites, swimming, wading, fishing, skating, skiing, sledding, rollerblading, riding scooters, and other sports activities are prohibited. Please bicycle on roadways only.
- Children under the age of sixteen must be supervised by an accompanying adult for the duration of their visit.
- Climbing trees is prohibited.
- Obey the 20 mph speed limit. Park in designated areas or on the pavement.
Thank you for your support!