CULTIVARS AND NAMES OF LAGERSTROEMIA
COMPILED BY RUTH L. DIX
U.S. National Arboretum
3501 New York Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002-1958
This Lagerstroemia Checklist is an updated edition of
the original Lagerstroemia Checklist
of Cultivar Names, published in 1978. It is the compiler’s opinion that
in recent years, the search for clarity in the names of various crapemyrtle
selections goes beyond just the inclusion of valid cultivar names as dictated
by the rules of the International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants–1995.
For the nurseryman, consumer, or other interested person, trade names with
their synonyms need to be included so that the public can make knowledgeable
decisions about the crapemyrtle they may wish to grow or market.
The format of the list is basically the same as in the previous checklist:
- Regardless of rank, all names (sub-species), botanical varieties, botanical
forms, cultivars, trade names, or trademarked names are enumerated in alphabetical
order. Since all entries are alphabetized, no index appears in this list.
- The reference(s) for a name is placed in parentheses. This is followed
by a notation if a description is absent, and a second reference cited that
includes a description. Subsequent pertinent references are also cited.
- Important information from the original bibliographic citation follows
the name and is preceded by a colon. Descriptive information is presented
in the following order: Habit; leaf characters; flower characters; and
miscellaneous data such as hardiness and disease resistance. When available,
the source, discoverer, selector, namer, and introducer (with significant
dates) follow. Information undocumented by published references is often
included and segregated by periods.
- Synonyms are cited in alphabetical order at the end of each entry, with
the valid name at the beginning of the list in bold type.
- Any species identity, other than L. indica, is given (in italics)
at the end of the paragraph that follows each valid name.
- All color designations, when given, are according to the Horticultural
Chart, 1942, issued by the British Colour Council in collaboration
with the Royal Horticultural Society, indicated by superscript 1; the R.H.S.
Colour Chart, 1966, published by the Royal Horticultural Society,
indicated by superscript 2; and the R.H.S. Colour Chart, 1982,
published by the Royal Horticultural Society, indicated by superscript
- Cultivar names registered with the U.S. National Arboretum are so designated
- The various type styles indicated the following taxon categories:
- ALBA – Valid cultivar name
- ALBA – Invalid cultivar name or undetermined
- L. indica – Valid species name.
- This web version of the checklist is divided alphabetically into "pages".
Images of US National Arboretum cultivar releases
have been inserted where appropriate. Click here
to visit the Crapemyrtle Introductions Photo Gallery.
- Click here to see our new full-color poster
devoted solely to our well-known crapemyrtle introductions.
Clicking on a highlighted/linked
letter below will take you to that portion of the alphabetical
A | B | C |
D | E | F |
G | H | I |
J | K | L |
M | N | O |
P | Q | R |
S | T | U |
V | W | X |
Y | Z
US National Arboretum cultivar releases | Crapemyrtle Introductions Photo Gallery